Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, January 13, 2011

365 in 365 - #14 - Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup

My mom had a 15 year battle with cancer.  Over the course of those 15 years, there were some very good years when the cancer seemed to have been beaten / was dormant and years where she went through surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation.   During one of her courses of chemotherapy after a particularly difficult surgery, she was unable to cook because of the smells, but she did want one thing...and that was chicken soup.  At that time, because my mom was so sick and my dad could not leave her alone, I was doing a lot of cooking for my parents, doing their laundry and most of their errands.  I was looking for a flavorful soup that she might be able to tolerate.  Everything that I looked at had lots of "stuff" in it, but not as much protein as she would need and it needed to have flavor, but still be mild and tolerable on a sensitive tummy.  

I miss my mom and every time I make this soup, I think of her.  She lost her battle with cancer on a chilly October day 9 years ago in Lynn, Massachusetts.  She passed away quietly at home in my father's arms.  My parents were married a little over 51 years.  

My dad now lives in Texas in a senior independent living community literally, right around the corner from our home.  He is 83 and his health is starting to deteriorate a bit, so I make an extra effort to reach out to him.  I call him every day, I see him at least twice a week and I treasure every moment that I have with him.  


Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup 

4 quarts of chicken stock
1 large onion chopped
2 small ribs of celery, including the leaves (from the heart), diced very small
1 small bag of shredded carrots
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1 bag of egg noodles
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 rotisserie chickens, meat taken off the bones and shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the chicken stock in a large pot, chop the onion and celery and add to the pot
Add the mushrooms and the egg noodles
In the mean-time, take the meat off the chickens and shred it
Add the carrots and the chicken to the stock and heat through.

This is wonderful served in a bread boule on a chilly day.

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe. It's wonderful when recipes have a story to go with them and they can always russle up those feelings and memories. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete