Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

365 in 365 - #26 - American Chop Suey

American Chop Suey is a recipe that I grew up with and was a favorite in our house.  I did not grow up in what anyone could call an 'advantaged" home.  We had love, and lots of it, but we had very little money.  We didn't qualify for food stamps, however, we did qualify for government issued food (that classic yellow cheese, peanut butter, powdered milk, canned meat and a few other items).  

My parents had to make every dollar stretch as far as it would go, and then some.  When it came to feeding our little family of 4, this was one of those meals that my mom could feed us on using the classic canned meat from Uncle Sam or when the budget permitted, she used ground beef.  We always had have left-overs and we truly enjoyed this meal.  I have very fond memories of the 4 of us sitting round the table and catching up on the events of our day.  We still enjoy this every once in a while and I reminisce with my dad about our family and especially about my mom.  

Served with a salad and dessert, it is a very basic, satisfying and good meal.  

American Chop Suey

1 lb of elbow macaroni
1 lb ground beef
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 large onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
  
In a Dutch Oven, saute the onion and green pepper in the olive oil, add the salt and pepper, add the ground beef and brown. While this is cooking, boil the elbow macaroni in salted water until al dente and drain.  Once the beef, onion and green pepper are cooked, add the macaroni and tomato sauce and stir to mix.  Cook on low until heated through.  

I am certain that you will enjoy this entree.  It may even evoke warm memories of a more gentle time, like it does with my family.

Have a great and memory filled evening,
S.



No comments:

Post a Comment