Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Thursday, January 27, 2011

365 in365 - #27 - Special Cheesburger

No story tonite....just a great burger. 


Have a Little Wine With That Cheese Burger

Bread and Cheese
6 Hawaiian sweet rolls, toasted
6 ounces crumbled Maytag Bleu Cheese

For the Burgers
3 pounds of 80% ground sirloin (makes 6 burgers)
1 large yellow onion, chopped and sautéed until golden brown
2 tbsps roasted garlic
2 tbsp Dijon style mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Mix the ground sirloin, sauteed onion, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper together with a wire “S” shaped potato masher, being very careful to not work the meat too much, separate into 6 portions and form burgers.  Using your index finger, poke a hole completely through the center of each burger.

Grill until medium rare, approximately 6 to 8 minutes on each side


For the Wine Sauce
1 bottle of Shiraz
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Sauteed Mushrooms
1 package sliced mushrooms, sautéed in ¼ cup olive oil and 2 tbsp butter until browned, set aside

In a heavy bottom skillet, reduce the wine by one third, add the garlic, salt and pepper and let simmer gently for 3 to 5 minutes until the garlic is softened, stirring constantly.  Add the honey and stir, let simmer very gently for 3 to 5 minutes.  The wine sauce needs to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  If it needs to be thickened, add the cornstarch and water mixture by teaspoonfuls letting the wine come back to a simmer after each addition of cornstarch and water.   

Assembling the Burgers
Toast the buns
Place a burger on the bun
Sprinkle the burger with 1 ounce of Bleu cheese
Cover with sautéed mushrooms
Cover all with 2 – 4 tbsp of the wine sauce, cover with the top of the bun

The balance of sweet and savory flavors in this recipe is amazing……

Please enjoy!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment