Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, January 10, 2011

365 in 365 - #11 - Haricot Vert

So far, for 2011, I have written and posted 10 recipes in my blog and it is only January 10th.  That got me thinking, what if I do 365 recipes in 365 days??  

So, I went back and looked at what I have posted and this is the list:
January 1 – Strawberry Sauce & Strawberry Salad Dressing
January 4 – Sweet pickle, scallion and red pepper relish & Lime mayo
January 6 – Chocolate pudding & hot cocoa
January 8 – Grilled cheese sandwich & chicken tortilla soup
January 9 – Maple bacon & chocolate covered pretzels

1 more recipe and I am a day ahead of schedule.   I say yes, why not.....and then....Lord help me!!!  

So here is # 11:

Haricot Verte with caramelized shallots and toasted pine nuts

1/2 pound haricot verte, washed and blanched
Peel and slice very thin 6 shallots
Over a medium to low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan
Add the shallots, let brown, stir and let brown and repeat until they are nice and brown and very sweet.  
Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper

Toast 4 tablespoons of pine nuts very carefully on low heat in a shallow pan. Keep an eye on these as they tend to brown more quickly than other nuts.

When the shallots have browned nicely, add the haricot verte and heat through.  Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and serve.
The fresh taste of the crisp green beans with the sweet soft shallots and buttery pine nuts is a great combination that I am certain you will enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe, although my hubby would prefer the beans cooked through till they're wilted and sagging. Go figure! A wonderful recipe!

    Barbara Vaughan

    ReplyDelete