Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Friday, January 28, 2011

365 in 365 - #28 - Iced Tea

The Best Iced Tea Ever - Makes One Gallon

In the south, iced tea is available everywhere all the time.  It comes unsweetened and sweetened and seems to be more popular than soda....also known as "tonic" for my friends and family back home.  The most common way to order it is sweet.  Yes, it is sweet...about 1 cup of sugar to 1 gallon of tea.  


12 cups of very hot, but not quite boiling water.  The trick is to not let the water actually boil.  
          Hint - processing a full pot of water through a 12 cup coffee pot works perfectly
1/2 to 2/3 cup of your favorite flavor loose tea
Optional - 3/4 to 1 cup of plain white sugar

In a large bowl with a pouring spout on it, place the tea and the sugar
Pour the hot water over the tea, stir and let it steep for 8 – 10 minutes

Place a wire mesh strainer over a 1 gallon pitcher, line with a paper towel
Pour the tea into the wire mesh strainer slowly
Add enough cold water to fill the gallon pitcher
Stir, let cool and serve over ice

This makes a fantastic gallon of iced tea.

I use Ginger Peach, Mango, Apricot, Black Currant or any other flavor that sounds great.  Plain black tea also works very well brewed in this manner.  

I hope you enjoy!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment