Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cooking Bacon without the mess

I tried something different today with my bacon.  I have always cooked it the traditional way...frying on top of the stove in a pan...YUCK...what a mess!!  So, I turned on the oven and laid the bacon out on a jelly roll pan and let it cook at 350'.  It did take a bit longer, but no mess, no fuss and it came out great.

I also took some whole grain bread, drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled on some southwestern seasoning mix and toasted it on a cast iron griddle.  This was amazing as the base for breakfast sandwiches.  I cooked some eggs very gently (not browned) and let the yolks set, but remain a little runny, added pepper jack cheese and the maple bacon, savory, sweet and spicy.....yumness personified!

Jason and I both like our bacon with maple syrup, so I buy maple bacon...but now I will brush it with a little maple syrup and place it back in the oven for a few minutes.   I also do this with my home-made sausage.  I actually mix maple syrup in with the meat on occasion.  It is so much better when it is home-made.

Because I really like the sweet / salty thing, I tried chocolate covered bacon.  Aida (5 ingredient fix) did this on her show and it is honestly fabulous.  I have also tried chocolate covered potato chips, which are actually yummy.  For holidays, I sometimes make chocolate covered pretzel rods and do them in several different flavors.  I like using the small ones for simple coverings and the bigger ones for the more elaborate coverings.  Think white chocolate, dried apricots and macadamia nuts; white chocolate and orange candy flavoring drizzled with dark chocolate; dark chocolate, pistachio and dried cherry; dark chocolate and raspberry candy flavoring with toasted sliced almonds.

Well, off to the kitchen to make candied jalapenos and bread (honey white; rosemary and garlic and maybe jalapeno cheese).

Have a great afternoon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment