Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Monday, January 17, 2011

365 in 365 - #18 - Omelets

The best omelet you will ever eat is just a mixer away.  Omelets should not be browned very much on the outside.  This makes a tough omelet and forms a crust that needs to be pierced with a knife and can feel "rough" on the tongue.  This is also what will make an omelet "split" when it is folded over.  Once you try this omelet, I think you will be converted.

I discovered this when I was having difficulty with my carpal tunnel.  I couldn't hold a whisk was not able to use a fork to beat the eggs, so I took out the hand mixer and gave this a try.  I started to blend the eggs then stopped right after the eggs were beaten.  As I thought about how the eggs look when I make our family pumpkin cake (odd thought at this point), in which they look very light and fluffy, though still liquid.  So, I decided to see what would happen if I kept the hand mixer going until the eggs got to the "light and fluffy" point.   Then I preheated  the skillet as usual.  At this point, I also thought about how I could get some really even heat on the omelet so that it wouldn't get all brown and a little crusty on the bottom and split when I fold it over and that is when I decided to place the omelet in the oven.  Popovers also came to mind and how they are cooked.  They start with a very hot pan and then are placed in the oven in a bath of melted butter.  So I thought, why not....and this recipe is the result.

I'll be interested to see if you give this method a try.

2 - 3 eggs per person.
A dash each of salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of butter

Heat your oven to 400 degrees
In an oven proof, non stick skillet, let the pan get nice and hot and just before the eggs are finished being beaten, melt the butter on medium heat, being careful not to brown the butter.

Put the eggs, salt and pepper into a deep mixing bowl and Blend.  Blend for about 4 minutes until the eggs are light yellow and have some air in them.  They will increase in volume, then pour into the hot pan.

Let the omelet cook on low until the edges and sides are set.   If the pan is hot enough, the omelet will set up nicely in a minute or 2.  Once the sides are set, place the pan in the oven on the middle rack.  Cook for anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes, or until the center is set.  Try not to let the eggs brown too much.

Use any kind of filling that you like, cheese, sauteed mushrooms, onions, peppers, sausage, etc.  Make sure that the filling is hot and add it to the top of 1/2 of the omelet.  Then slip the omelet out of the pan on to a plate and fold over.

Sprinkle some additional filling over the top with a little extra cheese and enjoy.  This omelet is light, fluffy, soft and simply heavenly.

This method also works very well as scrambled eggs.  Just don't put the pan in the oven and cook the eggs on medium low, let them set, scrape the pan gently with a rubber spatula to keep the air in the eggs, let the eggs set and repeat until cooked.

Have a great evening!!!!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment