Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

365 in 365 - #19 - Breakfast Burrito

A little background on my Mexican / Southwestern culinary adventures - this all started when I was living in Massachusetts and I thought I knew what good Mexican / Southwestern food was.....that is, until I went to Albuquerque for the first time.  I learned more about spicy and very tasty food from all my trips there over the course of 2 1/2 years than I would ever learn in Massachusetts.  I was fortunate to be able to be a consultant for that time period and travelled around the US teaching and auditing Medicare compliance....sounds exciting, huh?  Well, I had a blast with this job.  I was on a plane twice a week, sometimes more and couldn't have been happier at the time.  I spent one week every month in Albuquerque and still love that city to this day, the mountains, Taos, Santa Fe, Old Town and a bunch of other places and scenic trips that Jason and I visit at least every year or 2 on our way to Sedona.  My southwestern cooking skills have expanded greatly since then, but some things remain simple pleasures, and this is one of them.  

One of my husband's favorite meals is a burrito.  He likes things spicy (like me) and he likes a meal that is filling.  He has a very physical job and can burn TONS of calories in a day (I am soooo jealous), so he needs food that can keep up with the physical demands of his job.  I like to have him start his day with a very good breakfast, and this is one of the things that he loves.  

Breakfast Burrito

6 burrito sized flour tortillas
6 large eggs
1 can diced green chiles, drained
1 large onion, diced
1 finely chopped jalapeno
8 ounces chorizo or other Mexican or Spanish sausage, preferably cured
2 garlic cloves, minced
Shredded Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix the eggs and the green chiles and set aside.

Saute` the sausage, onion, garlic and jalapeno until cooked.  Add the eggs and scramble until cooked.  Lay out the flour tortillas and sprinkle generously with the cheese.  Divide the egg mixture among the tortillas.  Sprinkle with additional cheese.  Roll like a burrito and serve with sliced avocado, salsa and a drizzle of crema.

Please enjoy!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment