Purple Kitchen Treats

Over the past few years, I have been working on a cookbook. During this time, I took time off to finish my Master's Degree. Now that I have accomplished that, I am working again on my cookbook, slowly but surely.

However, over the past few months, something interesting has happened...I have received multiple requests for baked goods, particularly my cookies. I am also receiving multiple requests for granola. So, with all these requests in mind, I have started to make my cookies for sale, along with my granola.

My official web site is available, but will be undergoing a significant redesign. Be sure to visit my "official" web site at: http://www.susanshonk.com and watch for some exciting changes.

From the heart of my purple kitchen to you,
Susan

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

By far, the easiest home-made soup you will ever make.   This takes about 30 minutes from can to bowl.  People will think you have worked for hours to make this soup.....I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would simply smile sweetly.

This recipe makes a ton of soup and it does freeze very well.  The amount of heat that you will get from 2 serrano peppers is about the heat of a "medium" salsa, this is the best comparison that I can make to give you a reference point.  If you would like a less spicy version than this, add only 1 serrano pepper.....or none at all if you prefer a very mild soup (ahem....wimp!).

This soup will get quite thick once it sits, so if you like a soup with more broth, please feel free to add more.

2 quarts chicken broth / stock
1 rotisserie chicken, meat taken off the bone and shredded
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
2 medium onions, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 serrano peppers, sliced very thin
1 package (~10 per pkg) medium sized flour tortillas, diced (approx. 1" squares)
2 tsps pepper
2 tsps salt

Avocado chunks spritzed with lime juice
Crema Mexicana and shredded cheese for garnish

Combine the broth, tomatoes, onions, corn, garlic, cilantro, serrano peppers, peppre and salt in a large soup pot and bring to a slow simmer.  Then, turn the heat on low and add the flour tortillas until they are soft.  Add the shredded chicken, stir and turn off the heat.  Let this sit for 5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through.  Taste for seasoning.

Add avocado to each bowl (as much as you like) then add the soup, drizzle with the crema and sprinkle with cheese.  The smooth, creamy avocado is a very nice surprise with the heat and chunkiness of this soup.

Total yumness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment